This page contains a partial list of items the Charlotte ReStores accept, so please consider this as a general guide only. If you have questions about a specific item or items, please call our Donations Hotline for clarification at 704-392-4495. Click here or scroll below for a list of items we're unable to accept. Click here or scroll below for a list of other organizations that accept donations.
Attention ReStore Customers/Donors – to be in compliance with the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act, the Charlotte ReStores are no longer able to sell dishwashers, faucets, or hot water heaters that have components containing more than .025% lead. This includes items older than 2011, and items older than 2013 that do not have a compliance statement.
Here's a partial list of items we accept at our drop-off locations
Dishwashers, Range Tops, Ovens, Microwaves, Washing Machines, Dryers, Refrigerators, Range Hoods, Small appliances (ie: toasters, blenders, etc.), Water heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, HD Flat-screen LCD/Plasma TV's (we can no longer accept older, standard-def CRT/tube/rear-projection/console/wood-box televisions, or any TV's older than 5-years, due to the cost of recycling them).
Sofas*, Chairs* (living room, office, recliner, etc.), Tables (dining room, side), Dressers, Bedframes, Coffee/End Tables, Entertainment Centers, Filing cabinets, Bookshelves. *Upholstered furniture cannot have any stains, tears, or pet damage.
Building Materials (preferably new)
Doors (interior and exterior), Plywood, Insulation, Unused Lumber, Trim, Brick/block, Fencing
Books (no encyclopedias, magazines or textbooks please), Dishes, Glassware, Baskets, Knicknacks, Framed prints and Artwork
Kitchen Cabinets, Bathroom Cabinets, Countertops - only with cabinets, unless they are granite countertops
Lighting (must work!)
Hanging Chandeliers, Floor/Table Lamps, Lamp Shades in good condition, Track Lighting, Ceiling Fans
Hinges, Cabinet knobs, Door knobs/deadbolts, Electrical Hardware, Plumbing Hardware
Toilets, Sinks/Faucets, Tubs, Pipes
Tile (must be full boxes), Linoleum (new only), Carpet (new or gently used, minimum room-size, no small pieces unless carpet tiles), Wood, Area rugs (new or gently used)
Must be NEW. We take double hung, Picture, Bay (complete with all sashes). No used windows of any kind are accepted. *All windows must be aluminum clad or vinyl replacement only.
Game tables, Boats, Jetskis, RVs, Hot Tubs
What We Pick Up (with our donation pick-up fleet)
Everything listed above, with a few exceptions. Due to the cost of transportation and staff required, and our goal of being diligent in how we use our resources to raise funds to support Habitat, we must limit our donation pickups to items that meet a minimum resale value.
- We will pick up large appliances by themselves as long as they are less than 10 years old
- Microwaves must be less than 5 years old
- Freezers need to be at least 15 cubic feet in size
- Computer/Fax/Copy equipment: Charlotte ReStores do not accept computer supplies (computers, monitors, printers, keyboards, mice, speakers, etc.). Instead, we recommend donating these items to area Goodwill locations. The Goodwill Computer Works has the capability of refurbishing used computer materials and responsibly recycles used computer equipment and resells those items as excellent values. There's a Goodwill donations trailer in the parking lot adjacent to the Wendover ReStore. Click here to learn more about Goodwill Computer Works.
- Mattresses/Box Springs
- Baby Items
- Anything that doesn't work/needs a replacement part
- Metal blinds
- Paint, Stain, Thinners, or other Hazardous Materials/Chemicals
- Shower Doors
- Unframed mirrors or glass
- Appliances over 10 years old (if your older appliance still works, consider calling Crisis Assistance at 704-371-3001, they can take older appliances)
- TVs older than 5 years
- Rear-projection TVs
- Console TVs
- Storm windows/single pane windows
- Swingsets or playground equipment
- Pools (above or below ground)
- Garage Doors
- Hot Tubs
Crisis Assistance 704-522-4978 (for donations) - Accepts donations of clothing, blankets, linens, shoes, household items, gently used furniture.
Goodwill 704-393-6880 - Accepts donations of clothing, computers, household items, and gently used furniture. We have a Goodwill trailer in the parking lot at our Wendover location, so you can drop off all of your items in one convenient location.
Goodwill Computer Works 704-916-1755 - Accepts donations of computers, monitors, fax machines, copiers and printers.
Catholic Social Services 704-370-3283 - Accepts donations of mattresses, clothing, furniture, baby items and household items.
Salvation Army 704-332-1171 - Accepts donations of clothing, furniture, working appliances, household items, tv's, stereos, computers, books, toys and games, sporting goods, etc.
Jackson Park Ministries 704-392-4981 - Accepts donations of clothing, furniture, working appliances and some building materials.
AMVETS 704-393-2359 - Accepts donations of clothing, small furniture, small electronics (one man pickup service).
Computel 704-376-1116 - Recycles electronics such as computers, fax/copy machines, scanners, cords, etc. Some items require a small charge.
County Trash Pick-up 704-336-2673 - Will pickup items that cannot be reused, such as sofas with stains/tears/pet damage, broken appliances, etc. For Mecklenburg county residents only.