Who may do community service at the ReStore?
- Students needing hours for school
- Those with court-ordered hours from Mecklenburg County
- Those with hours outside of Mecklenburg County under certain circumstances
- Certain charges are an automatic disqualification for any individual interested in completing community service at the ReStore, including, but not limited to: larceny, theft, uttering, forgery, breaking & entering, assault, felonies, and any violent offenses.
How to get started:
What should I bring on my first day?
- Your paperwork from the court/case worker/school
- A photo ID (license, passport, school ID)
What should I wear?
- comfortable, casual clothes that you can work in and don't mind getting dirty (jeans, athletic pants/shorts, etc.) Shorts must be at least mid-thigh in length - NO "short-shorts" or "booty shorts"
- closed-toe, closed-heel shoes such as athletic trainers or work boots. no ballet shoes, crocs, etc. (if you arrive with inappropriate footwear, you will not be permitted to work that day)
- nametag (given to you by a staff member)
- jacket/sweatshirt/raincoat - many tasks will require you to be outside, or in a backroom with open doors, so cold/rainy weather will be a factor
What CAN'T I wear?
- loose hanging jewelry
- hats/headwear, except for baseball caps or religious headwear
- anything featuring offensive or explicit slogans/language/images
- overly baggy clothing
- clothing that interferes with your ability to work, including items that you don't want to get dirty or paint on
- anything that allows your undergarments to show, ie low-rise pants, sheer shirts, etc.
What will I be doing?
- Tasks vary day to day, but will usually consist of general housekeeping (sweeping, cleaning up and organizing various departments, dusting, cleaning the breakroom and bathrooms, wiping the windows, etc.), sorting donations, pricing items, putting priced items on the floor, creating or breaking down displays, transporting large items to customers' cars, etc.
What should I do when I arrive to work?
- Stop at the cash register each time you arrive to sign in, and be sure to stop by to sign out when you leave. If you don't sign out, the hours for that day will not count!
- If you arrive before the store is open to the public (10AM on weekdays, 9AM on Saturdays), knock on the front door to be let in, or enter through Julia's Coffee, which is right next door.
- Perform the tasks that are assigned to you. Doing nothing, hanging out in the coffee shop, leaving the store without signing out, etc., will result in either a) receiving no hours for the day or b) your dismissal from the site.
- Tell a manger upon arrival of your first day if you have any physical limitations that will affect your ability to perform particular assignments
- No swearing or inappropriate conversational topics. Should any inappropriate behavior occur, you will be told to leave immediately.
What is considered inappropriate behavior/grounds for dismissal?
- Defiance/refusal to perform requested tasks
- Confrontational behavior toward staff, volunteers, customers, or other performing community service
- Arguing/disputing number of hours accrued with staff
- Leaving site without signing out
- Neglecting or refusing to adhere to clothing requirements
- Talking on cell phone while working
- Hiding out/avoiding doing work
- Foul language/swearing and lewd or explicit conversations